The “10-40” Window.
“10” This is a very unique fall for the Floyds since we are entering the “10-40” window. It is hard to fathom that it was 10 years ago that Sharon and I assumed the roles of State Representative and Secretary of the MARBC. We were privileged to have a seamless transition due to the godly and wise leadership of our predecessors Maynard and Ann Belt. The Council of 15 is a wonderful group of servants who gave their support and encouragement as we launched out into “unknown frontiers” (at least “unknown” to us!)
“40” Near the end of November we celebrate 40 years of marriage. It seems shorter than that to me and for Sharon much longer! I am blessed to have a sweet and godly wife who listened to the challenge of her pastor’s wife as a seventh grader when she encouraged Sharon to pray for her future husband, since he may not even yet be a Christian (I wasn’t until my senior year of high school). Since Sharon also expressed her desire to serve as a pastor’s wife, she was encouraged by the same pastor’s wife to pray that her future husband would sense God’s clear call into pastoral ministry (I did as a sophomore in college as I prepared to be a medical doctor!) What a blessing from God it is to spend every day serving with such a focused, godly wife! All we have known as a married couple is ministering alongside one another in local church ministry. When starting down the marital path four decades ago we would have never imagined that we would have the privilege of sharing with such a wonderful group of churches and choice servants who comprise the MARBC. It is amazing to us that 25% of our marriage has been devoted to serving the Lord in our roles with the MARBC. We are humbled and deeply blessed to serve Christ and His Church alongside of you in such a way.
Embracing and Celebrating Our Core Values.
This past year of ministry with the MARBC has been one of stretching faith and special blessing as we have sought to strengthen our association in many ways. Not the least of these was the financial need. How blessed we are by the way God’s people have responded to this!
We also worked to refocus our vision regarding what connects us together as a network of local churches and Christ’s servants.
This became a major discussion point of the MARBC leadership, the Council of 16. This past spring we spent considerable time discussing the Core Values of our association. What is it that will allow the MARBC to remain a valid ministry investment for those currently in our network and for those who might consider becoming a shareholder? The result of these biblically focused, prayerful discussions resulted in the restating of specific core values that must define the MARBC’s investment portfolio.
The MARBC Core Values:
• Biblically grounded and doctrinally conservative
• Methodology that is progressive: knowing the culture to keep current and relevant
• Innovative: willing to try new ideas
• Non-hostile environments: love and unity are essential ingredients of church life
• Connecting with the community: creating contact points with the unsaved
• Accepting of differences: not every person/church must look the same
• Intergenerational: all ages worshipping together
These core values are the emphasis of the 2016 MARBC Conference theme, “Invested,” and will be communicated and implemented in the next decade’s strategic goals.
Praise God from whom all blessings flow!
We praise God for His work in our extended families during difficult health issues and severe crises. He is faithful! We praise God for our daughter Allison, her husband Taylor, and our four grandchildren – Connor (7), Eloise (5), Malachi (2), and Emmaline (4 months).
The MARBC Council of 16 serves a wonderful support system to us and we thank them for their sacrificial service. They are deeply invested in the future of our association. We also thank God for two significant volunteers who have assisted us in the MARBC’s practical ministry this past decade: Karen Avey, who serves as MARBC bookkeeper, and Kevin Pierpont, the MARBC’s web master. Both are a great blessing to us and are to be commended for their conscientious, quality ministries.
Sharon and I thank you for your ongoing prayer and financial support during this first decade of ministry with the MARBC. We look forward to investing with you as God’s stewards in the years ahead. He alone is worthy and deserves our very best!
To God be the glory!
Ken and Sharon Floyd
Floyd Ministry Statistics from 2015-16
• Travel: Over 24,000 miles on behalf of the MARBC this past year; over 300,000 miles the past decade, serving in almost 700 churches & dozens of conferences and seminars!
• Church assistance: Speaking 88 times in 59 churches; 140+ meetings in-person and online for counseling and consulting; promoting CPR ministry opportunities
• Pastoral assistance: Assisted 14 churches in the call of a new pastor; conducted 12 pastoral search orientations; shared at 10 pastor installation services and 9 ordination councils
• Strategic planning: led 6 churches through strategic planning seminars; participated in 6 church planting strategy sessions
• Office: monitored the improving budget situation and implemented cost-saving methods in office operations; prepared 3 dozen MARBC Messenger communications; worked on enhancing our online and electronic presence communications
We are blessed to complete our tenth year serving with you as representatives of this wonderful church network. You are a great blessing to us and it is our joy to partner with you for God’s glory!